Making Waves Coaching & Consulting encompasses a variety of areas including personal coaching, group facilitation, curriculum development and training, grant writing, and web content writing, all focused on the education and empowerment of the client. I work with individuals and organizations in leadership coaching, strategic planning, supported self-study, strategic communications, campaign planning, fundraising planning, and/or organizational development based on the needs, goals, and the vision of those I work with.
Who I Work With
I seek to work with artists, activists, community organizers, community based groups and organizations, social leaders, media makers, collectives, cooperatives, nonprofits, educational institutions, government agencies, and socially aware businesses and corporations.
Who I Am
Gunner Scott, Principal
Gunner holds a Bachelor’s of Liberal Arts degree from Goddard College with training in Oral History and concentrations in Transgender History, and Political Science. He brings thirty years of experience in the non-profit sector including: grantmaking and philanthropy; executive level non-profit management; training and work experience in providing mental health, substance abuse, and survivor empowerment counseling; developing curriculum and delivering professional training to adult learners; grant writing; and as culture maker and creative business entrepreneur.
For more work history see his profile.
EDUCATION: Goddard College, 2009 Bachelor of Liberal Arts
A SHOWCASE OF RECENT and INTERESTING PROJECTS
- Coaching sessions with a Ph.D. student on developing their research project by being a sounding board.
- Coaching sessions with an artist on developing a deeper work/life balance.
Facilitated 2 day convening of 14 sustainable agriculture organizations to strategize advancing healthy soil policy and legislation, 2018
The West Duwamish Greenbelt Trails group (WDGT) Website Design, 2017
Highland Park Action Committee (HPAC) Website Design, 2016
Develop and Facilitated Day Long Strategic Planning Retreat for the Board of Old Growth Northwest and provided Executive Coaching, 2015
- The Sounds of a Movement Goddard alumni vocalize for #BlackLivesMatter, Clockworks Magazine, author (2016)
- Trans Travelers: Don’t Lose Your Wanderlust, The Advocate, author (2015)
- MTPC’s Best Practices for Homeless Shelters, Services, and Program, Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, contributing editor and author (2014)
- MTPC’s Best Practices for Serving Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Students in Schools, Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, editor and contributing author (2012)
- Despite increased visibility, it’s still dangerous to be transgender in America, Boston Phoenix, author (2012)
- What Occupy Boston Means to LGBTQ Equality, Bay Windows, author (2012)
- Transgender Health in Massachusetts: Results from a Household Probability Sample of Adults, American Journal of Public Health, Conron, K.J., Scott, G., Stowell, G.S., Landers, S., contributing author (2011)
- Boston Area Transgender Community Leaders and the ENDA Crisis, Goddard College (2009)
- Responding to Hate Crimes: A Community Resource Manual, National Center for Transgender Equality, contributing editor (2006)
- White Ribbon Day: Violence against transgender people is related to violence against women, New Our Bodies Ourselves 2011 edition, Boston Women’s Health Collective, contributing author (2011)
- Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence & HIV/AIDS: Service Safety, & Resource: A guide for providers” Jane Doe Inc. The Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence, contributing author (2006)
- New Our Bodies Ourselves 2005 edition, Boston Women’s Health Collective, contributing post reader (2005)
- Transitioning Our Shelters: A Guide To Making Homeless Shelters Safe For Transgender People, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute and National Coalition for the Homeless, contributing editor (2003)
- Activate and Agitate, Introduction to the anthology Pinned Down by Pronouns, Conviction Books, author (2003)
- Gender queer boy works towards equality, Sojourner: The Women’s Forum, author (2002)
- Ma’am? I mean sir? Transphobia in Boston What’s Up Magazine, author (2002)
- Teen dating violence among lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered girls, Girls Coalition Newsletter, author (2001)
CERTIFICATIONS/RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Highland Park Improvement Club, Web and Communications Volunteer, 2018 – present
- Highland Park Action Committee, Former Chair, Co-Chair, and currently the Vice Chair, 2015 – present
- Seattle LGBT Commission, 2014 – 2016
- Board of Corporators, Eastern Bank, 2012 – 2013
- Rockwood Seminar Graduate/LGBTQ Fellow: Art of Leadership, 2010
- Trans Advocacy Network, Founding Steering Committee Member, 2010 – 2013
- Massachusetts Commission on Unaccompanied Homeless Youth, 2012 – 2013
- Registered lobbyist in the state of Massachusetts, 2009 – 2013
- Board of Directors, Equality Federation, 2009 – 2012
- Massachusetts Commission on LGBTQ Youth, Commissioner, 2006 -2008, 2010 – 2013
- Bureau of Substance Abuse Services GLBT Advisory Board, 2009 – 2013
- Advisory Board Member to National Center for Transgender Equality, 2005 – 2007
- Member of the LGBTQ Youth Providers Coalition, 2006 – 2009
- Boston Police GLBT Advisory Board, 2000 – 2013
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, Member, 2000 – 2006
- Governor’s Commission on Domestic and Sexual Violence Prevention, 2003 – 2006
- GLBT Domestic Violence Coalition, Member, 2002 – 2006
- HIV Counseling & Testing: Core Standards And Practice, 2007
- Safe-Sex Educator, Fenway Health, BiHealth Program, Boston, MA, 2002
- Substance Abuse Core Counseling, Substance Abuse Education Services, Boston, MA, 1996
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Recipient of the 2017 Julie Johnson Founders Award, National Center for Transgender Equality
- Recipient of the 2015 Transgender Excellence Award, Social Outreach Seattle (SOSea)
- Recipient of the 2013 Vision, Courage, Compassion, & Leadership Award, Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition
- Recipient of the 2012 Public Citizen of the Year, National Association of Social Workers
- Recipient of the 2012 Out on the Edge Award, The Theater Offensive
- Recipient of the 2012 I Heart Equality Honoree, National Organization for Women, MA chapter
- Recipient of the 2010 Hero of Love Award, MassEquality
- Recipient of the 2010 Community Award, Massachusetts Coalition for Suicide Prevention
- Recipient of the 2009 Gender Heroes Award, Theater Offensive
- Recipient of the 2009 Elsie Frank Memorial Award, Gay Officers Action League of New England (GOAL NE)
- Recipient of the 2009 Trinity Award, International Foundation of Gender Education
- Recipient of the 2009 Grace Sterling Stowell Award for Excellence in Advocacy and Service to GLBT Youth, Friends of GLBT Youth, Inc.
- Recipient of the 2008 Outstanding Community Activist Award, Bay State Stonewall Democrats
- Recipient of the 2008 Kevin Larkin Memorial Award for Public Service, Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association
- Recipient of the 2008 18 for 18 Award, The Network/La Red
- Recipient of the 2006 Richard L. Schlegel National Legion of Honor Award, American University
Interested in Joining a Co-op Model Consulting Group?
Each coach and/or consultant runs their own practice under the mission, values, and philosophy of Making Waves, while sharing the expenses of marketing and running a small business. If your interested in joining our coop consulting group contact Gunner Scott.